Your neck is very flexible and also supports the weight of your head on top of it. Because of this constant balancing act, the neck can be vulnerable to injuries or conditions that can leave you with a reduced range of motion, pain, or discomfort. Pain can originate from several sources, including sore muscles, degenerating joints or discs, compressed nerves, and strained ligaments.
5 Things Chronic Neck Pain Sufferers Often Say
If you or someone close to you suffer from neck pain that doesn't seem to want to quit, the following five statements likely sound familiar. However, each of these common sayings can be based more in fiction than in fact.
1. “I just need to rest my sore neck more”
For the majority of people, rest may not be the best approach to ridding yourself of neck or back pain. Taking a day to recoup is fine but avoiding extended periods of bed rest or physical inactivity is key to healing. Being sedentary leads to muscle stiffness, soreness, tightness, and atrophy. This can backfire and increase pain levels, and more pain can tempt you into remaining inactive for long. Gentle movement and exercise such as walking, yoga, or a simple range of motion exercises are best for getting over the hump of neck pain.
2. “I just have bad genes”
Most neck and back problems do not tend to run in families. Just because your mother, father, brother, grandmother, etc. suffered from neck pain doesn’t automatically mean you’re doomed to the same fate. What may be a factor, however, is that habits and lifestyle choices do get passed on. Being mindful that you’re not slouching like mom always did or lifting improperly like your dad can be more of a help than anything.
3. “My job isn’t physically demanding, so that’s not the cause of my neck pain”
One of the biggest myths concerning neck pain is that only people who have physically demanded, blue-collar jobs will develop job-related neck issues. The truth is that those who have jobs that require sitting for extended lengths of time, talking on the telephone, or working at a computer are also susceptible to developing neck pain as a result of their daily tasks.
4. “I’m aging, so I just need to learn to live with my neck pain”
Aches and pains do not have to come along with age. While it’s true that when you’re older it may take a little more effort to keep in good shape, it doesn’t mean that neck pain or an achy back is inevitable. Staying physically active, eating right, and taking good care of your spine can help you age feeling great. If you take the time to care for yourself, then things like having to run up a flight of stairs or shovel snow from the driveway are still doable.
5. “It’ll just go away on its own”
Sure, some mild cases of neck pain do seem to go away almost as quickly as they came. However, if you’ve been enduring a sore, stiff, or painful neck for some time, the chances of it resolving on its own aren’t great. Chronic neck pain needs a solution that requires more than a watch and waits approach.
One Go-To Option for Lasting Neck Pain Relief
There is no need to resign yourself to putting up with your neck pain when there’s a gentle, natural, and long-lasting solution. Upper cervical chiropractic care is perfectly suited to giving neck pain sufferers the relief they’ve been looking for. There are several reasons why:
- Upper cervical care is focused - we focus on the uppermost vertebra in the spine – the atlas. The atlas (C1) is the most freely movable of the entire spine. It bears the weight of the head and provides protection for the brainstem, a critical part of the central nervous system. For these reasons, upper cervical chiropractic is concerned with the optimal positioning of the atlas vertebra. If the atlas is in its normal alignment, the weight of the head is carried in a neutral position allowing for tension and strain on the rest of the neck to be eased.
- Upper cervical care is gentle - adjustments given to correct an atlas misalignment are very gentle and do not require any forceful twisting or popping of the neck. The corrections we give can be so gentle because very detailed measurements are taken for each patient to be sure we are giving the exact right adjustment.
- Upper cervical care is precise - each of our patients undergoes a thorough analysis so that we are able to individualize their care. Very precise measurements are then taken so that we may customize an adjustment that is perfectly suited to that person.
- Upper cervical care addresses the underlying cause of many neck pain conditions - rather than chase around symptoms, by correcting the position of the atlas we are getting to the root of many neck pain causes. When the head is not properly balanced atop the neck, muscles must strain, joints can wear unevenly, discs can degenerate prematurely, and nerves can be irritated.
The attention to detail that we have at Atlas Health Australia is what lets us accomplish lasting results, allowing our patients to get back to feeling great and living their lives at a higher standard. We offer a complimentary consultation so that you can learn more about our unique approach towards helping neck pain sufferers find relief.
To schedule a complimentary consultation call our North Lakes Queensland office at 07-3188-9329