Can Upper Cervical Care Help My Vestibular Migraines?
“Vestibular migraines” are a terrible thing to experience. Vertigo, which is the uncontrollable sensation that the world is spinning, is severe enough.
So too is a migraine, which is a tearing, nauseating pain inside the head. But to experience elements of them both at the same time, this is the true horror that people who live with vestibular migraines experience. What makes the syndrome even more challenging for the people who suffer it is that the specialists cannot identify the cause.
Most people’s brain MRIs are normal. As a result, many specialists only recommend brain-numbing “migraine preventative” medication. If you, like so many people, want a different, natural solution, Upper Cervical care may be able to help you.
Upper Cervical care is a specific form of chiropractic that focuses on the alignment of the top two vertebrae in the neck - the atlas (C1) and the axis (C2) - but does not involve twisting or cracking the neck.
A Natural Solution - The Role of the Upper Neck in Vestibular Migraines
The relationship between the upper neck and vestibular migraines is as follows:
- Many migraines are caused by irritation of the dura mater (the connective tissue that protects your brain from your skull) and by oversensitivity of a cluster of cells located in your upper neck (called the Trigeminal nucleus) that is responsible for receiving all sensory and pain information about your head and face.
- Dizziness and vertigo are caused by disruptions to the normal alignment of your neck, which provides a huge amount of information to your brain about the position of your body with respect to gravity (i.e., are you lying down or standing up straight).
- Misalignments of the upper neck have the potential to create tension on brainstem, irritate the associated tissues (the dura) and disrupt normal function of the balance and pain sensations of the head.3
Note: These problems do not appear on MRI, which is why they often go undetected.
Have You Tried Upper Cervical Care to Help Your Vestibular Migraines?
If you are experiencing vestibular migraines, Upper Cervical care may be able to help you. Upper Cervical specific care is a precise, gentle and natural approach to restore your health and get your life back. We do specific neurological testing on-site (with results in 2 days) and will provide you with a customised care recommendation based on the results of your tests.
Our office is conveniently located in North Lakes, QLD (North Brisbane). Dr Jeffrey Hannah is the principal Upper Cervical chiropractor at our office in North Lakes, QLD (North Brisbane). Dr Hannah has 10 years experience in Upper Cervical practice and is one of only 2 certified Blair Upper Cervical specific doctors in Australia. To schedule a complimentary consultation call our North Lakes Queensland office at 07-3188-9329
- Phebus LA and Johnson KW. Dural inflammation model of migraine pain. Curr Protoc Neurosci. 2001 May;Chapter 9:Unit9.1. doi: 10.1002/0471142301.ns0901s06.
- Rzewnicki I, Janica JR. . Przegl Lek. 2008;65(3):122-5.
- Kessinger, R. KCUCS neurology of the upper cervical spine. 2015.